Why Volunteer at WWOZ?
WWOZ has been a volunteer-powered station since day one. Volunteering at WWOZ is a unique and exciting way to serve New Orleans and interact with our diverse music community. Volunteers are essential for WWOZ to support the local music community, as well as entertain, inform and educate our global audience.
Our small offices are fun, fast-paced and often chaotic. Over the years, we have found that the most successful formula is for a volunteer to work a consistent 3-4 hour weekly shift during regular business hours.
» Read about some awesome volunteers here.
What do volunteers do at WWOZ?
There are a variety of valuable services that you can offer WWOZ as a volunteer, including:
- Communications — Phone correspondence, written correspondence, greet guests in the studio, etc.
- Clerical — Prepare mailings, filing, organizing, data entry, data organization (e.g., create spreadsheets).
- Radio Production — Produce our Livewire, Community Notebook and Street Talk segments.
- Event Production — Assist with remote and in-studio live broadcasts, load-in/load-out, custodial, light carpentry, etc.
- Membership — Membership intake at events, Membership Drive producers (people who go on air with a show host inviting people to join WWOZ), process member data during drives, answering phones, etc.
- Show Host — Our DJs (or show hosts) are volunteers and generally also give their time for off-air duties. You don't have to be a music scholar to be a show host, but you do need to be passionate about the music genres that make up WWOZ's format.
Basic technical aptitude and good verbal and written communication skills are a big plus. WWOZ provides plenty of training — you'll definitely learn new skills as part of your volunteer experience. Working knowledge of standard PC office applications is an essential skill for most positions. Volunteers are required to have e-mail that they check regularly.
» Apply to volunteer at WWOZ
After submitting your application to volunteer, we will call you to schedule an interview. Interviews are scheduled two weeks in advance and take place during normal business hours.
If you have any questions about volunteering, please call our business office at (504) 568-1239 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.